March 16, 2008

Pasar Pagi (Morning Market)

Besides having supermarkets and hypermarkets, we also have the "pasar pagi" (Morning market).

I don't usually go for that, but I had to get stuff for my party, so it was off to the market.

I hadn't been there for a long time, but it's pretty much the way I remember it.

In the pasar pagi, you'll see lots of meat exposed to the flies. Note that this is different from a supermarket, because this place isn't exactly hygienic ^^;


It IS perfectly fine to buy meat from here though, since the meat will be washed before you cook. (You DO wash the meat.. right?)

You can find lots of stuff. From fish (above) to prawns (below)...


...to headless chicken...


...and to pork (though a friend said it was really human meat).


Of course, you can also find vegetables..


Some nice tomatoes. One of the items for the party. ^^;


やさいはいろいろですね。。So many vegetables~


Besides finding vegetables and meat, you can also find pirated DVDs ^^;

They used to sell VCDs when I was younger, but piracy evolves too.


BTW- I was surprised to find out that the pasar pagi has processed meat.


Some stuffs for steamboat. Do you eat steamboat in your region? Do you use these meats as well?


Oh, remember what I said about stores in Japan selling used panties? You can get some cute pantsu (panties) here for cheap, but you might have to get some friend to use it for you first..


I'm just kidding about getting your friends to use it though, don't actually do that. (Unless you're stinging and don't want to pay for a slap [inside joke])

You can also buy (cheap) accessories, but there are no anime ones, so I don't bother. :0


Besides food ingredients, you can also get prepared food, such as steamed buns. (Known as pau)


Other foods would be goreng pisang (fried banana), and fried nian gao.


The nian gao in a bucket, and the utensils used to fry them. (The wok is right at the end)


There's also lots of sweet stuff. Pun intended.


There are also sausage buns and ham buns (and many others).


With all that food, you might be thirsty, so there's also soya bean milk to help satisfy that thirst.


More food - This is yau ja gwai and.. something else I can't identify (lol). It's similar to yau ja gwai, but contains sugar.


This be the wok they use to fry the yau ja gwai. Look at that black oil!


Besides unhealthy foods, pantsu, and food ingredients, you can also get healthy foods, like fruits.


The bananas look really dirty, but no worry, they're (normally) fine in the inside.

Some nice, green apples. Had thought this would make a really nice picture, but realized that the stickers kinda ruin it. ^^;


There's also newspaper for sale, so if you don't have it delivered to your house, you can get it here.


More bread- both loaf and cream-filled buns.


And of course, there's nasi lemak (will talk about that some time).


Well, that's a little bit of what the pasar pagi is like.. pretty good place to get some breakfast, aye?

Note that this is a post of the Petaling Jaya morning market, so you might not find everything here in other morning markets.