*WARNING! THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
If you haven't watched Clannad already, I recommend you stop reading this this instant and go and watch it here.
Nagisa, the pretty, 「いつもげんき」 (always cheerful) classmate
Plot & Development
One word: Wow.
Absolutely wonderful. Development was just at the right speed- neither too fast, nor too slow. The first half (three-fourths, really) was great, but the end bit didn't give me too much of a 'feel', as I'm not really a Nagisa fan. The plot is very good throughout, and keeps one anticipating the next episode.
Fuko the cute loli! ^^;
Characters
Very well designed characters- They look perfect, and their VAs did a good job and acted for their characters splendidly. I'd say Fuko (pictured above) is the cutest, but I think Nagisa fits more perfectly as Tomoya's love interest. I personally like Kotomi (pictured below) though.. Good character development for some of them, but others like Kyou and Tomoyo might have been better off with some more development. BTW- I never noticed it during the first half of the show, but Nagisa's really pretty!
Kotomi, the silent genius and childhood friend
Genre
Drama, Fantasy, Harem, Romance - Also has elements of comedy in it.
It certainly succeeds in drama- left me crying a lot by the end of some episodes. If you don't like crying in front of others, I suggest watching this show alone ^^;
The fantasy elements that affect the story the most are Fuko, and some charms used in the series- While there is another fantasy element (the girl in the world that ended), it doesn't really play a part in influencing events- except being Nagisa's play (it does, however, have its connections to the story).
Harem- this label made me hesitate a little when deciding whether to watch this show or not, but my mind has been changed about harem anime upon completing this series.
It definitely did a good job in the romance department. Once again, high praise to the series. It develops well, and while it could have used a little more "love rivalry", it's still satisfying.
Kyou, the tsundere
Soundtrack
Superb- the BGM helps along the mood, and the ending song is just fantastic. The ending song, Dango Daikazoku (lit. Dango big family), is fantastic because whether the episode ended happily, or whether it was sad, the respective mood is kept. It's not like some other series, where they have a sad end to the episode, then have an extremely happy and cute song play.
Tomoya, the confident kohai (junior)
Other Comments
After watching the third episode, I honestly didn't want to watch it anymore. Not because it was bad, but because it was too good! It hurt my mind to think that it would end at one point (which might explain why I took so long to finish). I definitely want more, so I'm anticipating the second season.
Rated: 10/10
Highest recommendations to those looking for a good drama/romance show.