April 23, 2008

Venus Versus Virus

Finally finished this old series.


Venus Versus Virus

Before Sumire met Lucia, she was just your average high school girl.

Now, she is the latest addition to the Venus Vanguard- a group of four (including her) who hunt hostile demons known as "Virus". Sumire, when exposed to the Vaccine (the "Anti-virus" chemical), goes into "Berserker mode", where she becomes a "living anti-virus".

Lucia, who saw her mother get killed by a virus, fights with the intention of exterminating every last virus. Her left eye is a bright yellow- a trait she inherited from her father. This eye has, "certain devastating effects" on her enemies.

Unbeknownst to the both of them, the virus, Lucif, who Lucia had seen kill her mother is now leading the other viruses, and is attempting to open the way to the True World with the help of "fragments", which reside in none other than Lucia and Sumire. Will Lucia and Sumire find out the truth about this Lucif and his intentions before it's too late?


Now, for my comments of the series.

Plot & Development
Not too good. Quite boring actually. The relation between Lucif and the viruses isn't really clear. I still don't really know what the viruses are, and the power of the Berserker is not explained. I.E., this series leaves LOTS of questions. The plot develops slowly at the beginning, but then starts gets into a better pace (still a little too slow). The last episode, however, is a little rushed, and the ending is.. A hanging ending. And we know hanging endings are good and bad.

Characters
Sumire occasionally gets annoying- when she's all, "I can't fight!" and stuff. Lucia is a tsundere (I think? I is not tsundere expert), but her looks, and the way she acts in the later half of the series.. just doesn't really work well for me.

One character I really liked, though, was Laura.


She's cute!


She's loli!


Uses twin guns!


And likes choco!





She also has a cute mole under her eye! (Something I love very much)



But, unlike Lucia, she will not exterminate you gently!






She made a magic star out of Pocky, which.. does I-don't-know-what. Summon some dead people I think.


Other characters are pretty normal.

Oh, did I mention Laura has an evil twin, Layla? She's no fun though.




Genre
Adventure, Fantasy, Yuri. Both the adventure and fantasy elements are -okay-. While it's not that strong, there certainly is a presence of yuri.

Soundtrack
Didn't really notice any great soundtracks.. I have grown a liking for the opening song though.

Other comments
To be honest, the slow development of this series made it hard to watch. I found myself always wanting to watch other series, which is probably why I've finished this a year late. The questions left are too many- like the ending. I don't even know if all the characters died or not! (Popular [crunchyroll] opinion is that they all died) Some hanging endings are good, but this isn't one of them. A plus point with me was probably the clothes though- I like the designs. Oh- and the preview backgrounds- they feature nice artwork.

Rated: 5.5/10

Not a recommended series, but if you've got nothing to watch, you can give this a try. Do it for the clothes. Do it for Laura.

Watch it at crunchyroll here.