March 28, 2008

Comments

A friend was complaining today about the little comments he received on his blog, and had written a post about it. I used to feel like that too at one time- where I was highly discouraged for not getting any comments.

But that was before I realized that I had to find ways to attract people to my blog instead of waiting around for them.

Now, I have more of a social network (I don't believe I should be calling it a "great network" just yet), and am doing much better than before. I'll honestly say I was tempted to give up many times, but thank goodness I didn't, because I'm enjoying my time blogging.

Here are some blogging tips I passed on to my friend. Don't mean to brag or anything, but just thought they might be a little helpful.

1. Link up with fellow bloggers. This brings in more visitors and increase awareness of your blog's existence.

2. Do your friends know you have a blog? You might be putting it on your MSN messenger display name, but some people don't notice that.

3. SEO- Search Engine Optimization. It's helping your blog get to the first page of results of a search engine.

4. (Applies to blogspot users) Want more comments? Enable anonymous comments! Some people do not have a blogger account, but would very much like to say something- but they aren't going to be able to do that if you don't enable anonymous comments!

5. "Beautify" and make your blog look attractive. People don't want to go back to a blog that looks like trash.

6. When people visit your blog (and leave a comment), return the favor and visit them! Though people might not say it out, most will expect you to do so.

7. Update regularly- establish the right image of a dedicated blogger. How often you update is going to be how often people visit you.

8. Don't worry about whether a post is long enough or not- posting bite-sized posts is good as well. Updating only lengthy posts might drive your readers away.

9. Be sure of what you want to say in a post, and try not to drift off too often.
Hope you found those tips helpful.

Any of you felt like giving up blogging due to lack of comments before?