June 06, 2008

Places to Visit in Malaysia 1

While I was in Melaka, I visited the famous Jonker Walk.

On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, the pasar malam opens up there. (What is a pasar malam?)


Trishaws at your service.

It's a little different compared to pasar malams in my area.


Most of the stuff for sale were women's items (necklaces, bracelets, etc), food or some decorative items- not much stuff for the average male.

Some pets for sale.


This uncle was nice enough to let me take a picture of his work. Very nice indeed. Something you won't find in pasar malams in KL.

However, the people have not forgotten us otaku- this is the proof:


I must get me one of them Smash Warrior Gundams ^^; (Had to sneak this shot, so I used my phone camera)

Some other stuff for sale I couldn't get a picture of: Wooden swords, BB guns, self-defense weapons, and other miscellaneous things.

In the morning, Jonker walk reverts to being a busy one-way street.


But what makes this place popular, is not the items they sell, but the food.


This store, "Jonker's Delight" sells "Durian cendol" which is one of the main attractions in this area. More about that in another post tomorrow.

More trishaws

Jonker Walk is also famous as a place to find antiques.



There was lots of graffiti all over.





Too bad there's no Gundam graffiti ^^;

While you're there, you might want to visit the tomb of Hang Kasturi, one of the five great warrior brothers.


The English portion of a board that gives a brief history of Hang Kasturi- do give it a read. It's kinda amusing to see so many spelling and grammar mistakes when it's considered to be a historical site.


Same board- this one in Bahasa Melayu (Malay language).


They also had it in Chinese and Japanese.