March 18, 2011

Durarara!!: A Series Introductory Post

As I mentioned in my post earlier today, I'm starting a few different series of posts, and one of those is going to be a Durarara!! series. Here we go.


---


I have a confession to make.


When I reviewed Durarara!!, back at the very end of November (it was one of my first few reviews) I gave it an eight. That ranks it alongside Jigoku Shoujo, Kuroshitsuji and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I only rated it so high because I could see quality there even if I hadn't enjoyed it very much, and oh—that's the ticket.


I didn't enjoy it very much. When I watched the series the first time, my reaction was something like this:




Then I started making my Top Ten lists recently. There ended up being a whole lot of Durarara!! content on those lists. And that's when it hit me—much as I didn't enjoy watching it, much as I looked at it sorta said 'meh'...somehow it wormed its way into my favorite series.


That is why I re-watched the series. It was to see if I liked it better the second time around, to see if I could figure out why I fell so in love. Suffice it to say...it didn't work. I still don't know. All I know is that am in love.


I mean that in an intense way. I am now obsessed with this series in a way that I haven't been obsessed with a series since...oh, Yu-Gi-Oh!, in sixth grade? Yeah. And before that, Digimon. Meaning I am obsessed in a way that has only happened twice before.


Now that...that is impressive.




So this series of posts is going to cover basically everything related to DRRR!!.


The episodes, a few per post when I do episode posts. These will offer commentary. And whatever else I feel like offering in them.


The characters. Either each main character will get their own post, or I'll stuff a few people into the same post. It'll just depend on how much I have to say about each specific person.


The music. I have both OSTs and the character cover songs, and I will discuss all of them at some point or another.


The light novels. Seriously, I'm reading them. Or at least trying. So far I've located translations of volume one, and volumes four through seven. If anyone can direct me to volumes two, three, eight and nine, I will love you. But basically in these posts I'll still do general commentary and also cover differences in the mediums.


The manga. I'll also be reading this. Just because.


The pairings. Maybe. I might do one or two posts about various actual couples and other pairings from within Durarara!!.


Anyway, I suspect from that list that this is going to be a long series. And maybe somehow the gods of anime will smile on me and I'll get a nice second season of the actual anime series. We'll just see how that goes.


So this has been the introduction. That is all, haha.